Calpe city and tropical beach, Alicanta -  Apply for a Visa in Spain

Spain is a popular travel destination for many reasons. It offers beautiful beaches, historic cities, and plenty of culture. It’s also a great place to learn the language! If you’re planning on visiting Spain soon then this guide will help answer all your questions about travel visas.

Do You Need a Visa to Enter Spain?

There are a few different types of visas that you can apply for, depending on your situation. And quite commonly as with anywhere new for travel you may find yourself asking “What do I need for a Visa in Spain?!”

The most common one is the tourist visa, which allows you to stay in Spain for up to 90 days if you’re visiting friends or family members who live there. Other types include business travel visas (for those travelling on behalf of their companies), student visas (if you’re going to study at a Spanish university), and working holiday visas (for young people between 18-30 years old).
The requirements vary depending on what type of visa you need and where it will be used. However, all applications must include proof that:

  • You have enough money in your bank account (at least EUR 500)
  • Your passport has at least six months’ validity left before expiring
  • If you’re planning on staying longer than three months or if your reason for visiting Spain isn’t tourism-related (for example, if you’re going there for work), then it’s likely that you’ll need another type of visa. These Visas are Digital Nomad Visa, a Non Lucrative Visa or a Golden Visa.

Digital Nomad Visa

The digital nomad visa is a new option for those who want to stay in Spain for up to 1 year. It requires proof of income and health insurance, as well as a valid passport.

Non Lucrative Visa

A non-lucrative visa allows you to stay in Spain for up to 1 year. You must have proof of income, health insurance and a valid passport.

Golden Visa

The Golden Visa is a new program that allows you to stay in Spain for up to five years. It requires proof of investment in Spain and a valid passport. The amount you invest depends on how long you want to stay. If it’s less than one year, then at least 250,000 euros. If it’s between one and two years, then you will need 500,000 euros. And if it’s three years or more (and up to five), then 1 million euros will be needed in your investment.

How to Apply to get a Visa for Spain

You can apply for a visa to Spain online or at one of the Spanish consulates in your area. The required documents will vary depending on your situation, but they generally include:

  • Passport with at least six months left before expiration date
  • A completed application form (you can find this online under Schengen visas)
  • Your passport photo (you’ll need two photos)
  • Proof of travel insurance that covers you for at least 30 days after arrival in Spain, including emergency medical expenses

Our Short term Plus insurance plans provide cover for up to 6 months, and is different to standard travel insurance as this is to cover those travelling for work or study compared to insurance cover for leisure.

Visa Requirements for Spain

  • Length of stay: The length of time you can stay in Spain is determined by your visa type. If you have a short-term visa, it will be valid for a maximum period of 90 days. If you have a long-term visa, it will be valid for up to 5 years.
  • Entry and exit requirements: All visitors to Spain must have a valid passport that’s at least six months old when they enter the country. Your passport must also have at least two blank pages available for stamps. You will need proof of onward travel before entering Spain; if there’s any doubt about whether or not this requirement applies to your situation, contact us

Can You Extend Your Stay?

You can apply for a visa extension at the local police station in Spain. The process is not very complicated and takes only a few minutes, but it’s important to know what documents you will need.
The reasons why you might need an extension include:

  • Wanting to stay longer than 30 days in Spain (the maximum time allowed by most nationalities).
  • You have overstayed your current visa. This means if you leave Spain now and try re-enter within six months of departing without another valid visa, border control staff will refuse entry into the country. This will be until they see proof of legal status from either your home country or another Schengen member state where you currently hold residence status (i.e., Italy).

Visa Overstays in Spain

Overstaying your visa could mean you will be fined and deported from Spain. If this happens to you, it’s important to remember there are ways for visitors to stay in Spain even after their visas have expired.
Friends or family members who have legal residency in Spain and have been granted permission to host guests which is called tolerancia or permiso de residencia can help get your visa extended so that you don’t have any problems leaving or entering the country again.

If you are looking to apply for a visa and medical insurance for your time in Spain, our team would be happy to advise you on the next steps to take. Say Hello